This fall, prepare your trees for the winter months ahead and encourage healthy growth next spring. Before it gets too chilly, head outside to help your trees stay healthy and happy by following the Davey Fall Checklist.
1 CLEAN UP
- Remove critical risk trees
- Remove leaf piles from beds and turf
- Prune dead, diseased or unsafe branches
- Fertilize trees and shrubs (as part of your normal
- Mulch trees and shrubs as appropriate
- Cable or brace weak limbs ro prepare for
3 PLANT & WATER
- Plant new trees and shrubs
- Water evergreens in preparation for winter
- Inspect trees and shrubs for insects and
diseases, and treat appropriately
Tree care tips for weathered winter trees
Plan for a healthy growing season.
1. Clean Up and remove dead, diseased, and unsafe branches.
2. Weed beds, cut back perennials and trim fall flowering shrubs.
3. Prepare cable, brace or remove weak limbs.
4. Plant new trees and shrubs. Fertilize annually.
5. Inspect for water damage, insects, diseases, and treat.
6. The best time to get those pesky insects and fungus diseases before they really catch hold—is now.